Sunday 4 November 2012

Hi, my name is Shannon, I also go by Shaz.  Once upon a time my best friend also was named Shannon, to avoid confusion our friends and coworkers asked us to go by our nicknames.  While living in Australia with my cousins.  My cousin Cindy started calling me Shaz.  She explained that they would drop the last part of a name and add a Z.  I admit that I thought it pretty cool to have a nickname all my own.

I think I started this blog because I wanted to share my story, or part of it.  I have been helped by reading other blogs in the past and found out there are other people out there that have gone through some of the same digestive or stomach problems that I have experienced.  It is a good way to share recipes and ideas.  I have a few favorite places when I might be looking for a new recipe, or one that has been already adapted to the ingredients that I can eat.

When I was little my father used to sing to us.  He was an amazing vocalist.  One favorite song he sang to me was about a doll having a pain in her sawdust.  My sister reminded me of this and... my blog was named.  I have suffered most of my life with stomach pain.  I didn't always realize it as such.  I was just a picky eater, because food made me feel sick.  I remember eating my mothers famous fried chicken and wanting to die, ok maybe just sink into the couch as I tried to will away the pain.  I hate throwing up, hate it!!  It was just easier to not eat, that way there was no pain.  I still eat things that cause me pain, as I can't pin down exactly what it was that caused the pain.  If I eat the most boring diet then I seem to be fine.  It's not the seasonings that are a problem, so I don't have to eat dull food, its seems to be the variety.  I do really good when I am dieting down for a show, higher protein, lower carb, tons of veggies but no sugar of any type.  I tend to get fairly restricted in variety just being lazy I think.  I know it is not healthy so I try to eat more variety, then the pain starts.  It is rather ironic that I feel best when I eat strict and as soon as I add in anything that I think tastes good (usually a treat) then I start to feel sick again.  Funny how most people think I am lucky that so many things make me feel sick.  That way I stay fairly lean year round. I don't feel so lucky when a simple birthday cake becomes such an event.

I have started eating grain free about 9 months ago, that was great for a space of time, then I just had no energy left and was struggling with fatigue.  I added back oatmeal a couple of times a week.  Funny as when I was a child it was a major battle to get me to eat oatmeal.  I love my oatmeal now, but try to limit it to a few times a week.  That is the only grain that I allow myself, or that my naturopath agrees I can have on a limited basis.

Life is a journey and this is my battle.  It could be worse.  I sometimes wish I could have a temper tantrum, but only if it would actually get me what I wanted, which it wouldn't.  I am trying to work on being positive, my glass is half full, and I can enjoy what I have.  I have an amazing family, four wonderful kids that I love immensely.  I have the most beautiful one year old grandson, who constantly makes me smile, his love is genuine.  He looks in so many ways just like his father did at that same age.  There is another grand-baby on the way, we are so looking forward to seeing her, and I will admit spoiling her as well.  I have two wonderful daughter-in-laws, I love them both.  My sister and brothers are all dear to me, I am constantly thinking of stories from when we were kids and how much fun we had, how we all love each other.  My parents were always the center of our family, my father had a short battle with cancer that took him from us way too young.  I will always feel the gap his passing has left.  He was much beloved by his family.  He was not a jovial man, but his depth of love for us all was endless.  My mother has been a constant friend and cheerleader through the ups and downs of life.  I never wished for anyone different.  All of this is capped off with having an amazing boyfriend Brian, and how he helps me in every way.  Even when I don't want help.  I hope that we can all enjoy our journeys together helping support and encourage others along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Shan, reading the last paragraph made me cry, because it's so great (and because I'm a little more emotional these days than usual)! Now I'm going to have two blogs to check every day! Thank you for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete